Historic Lebanon announces
11th annual Historic Places Tour, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018 5:00-8:30 pm.
Tour tickets are $10 in advance, available at the Historic Lebanon office, 324 West Main Street or the Lebanon/Wilson County Chamber office, 149 Public Square beginning November 1st. Tickets will be available the night of the tour for $12 at any of the tour locations.
The tour is self-guided and participants may start at any of the sites. For convenience, locations are listed on the back of advance tickets click here for map: Historic Tour 2018
By shining a light on these local treasures, Historic Lebanon hopes to increase awareness of Lebanon’s history and stress the importance of local preservation efforts. We want to show how one can live a modern life in an older home! The annual Historic Places tour is a great way to spend a wonderful night in your community and to support local historic preservation efforts.
Historic Lebanon is proud to bring the tour to the community each December. This would not be possible without the support of our generous annual sponsors: Ligon and Bobo Funeral Home, C. Tracey Parks Law Office, Main Street Property Management, THW/Westfield Insurance, Thackston Family Foundation, Wilson Bank and Trust, The City of Lebanon, CedarStone Bank and media support from WANT 98.9.
This year’s tour sites include:
236 WEST MAIN C. 1850 with major expansion c 1870
This house is historically significant to Lebanon’s history not only as an outstanding surviving example of transitional style architecture but also for its role as an educational institution. Work began on the house c. 1852 in the Greek Revival style. After the Civil War, the home was expanded and embellished with details in the Italianate style.
Wilson County Veterans Museum and Plaza
304 East Main 2017
Wilson County celebrated the opening of its newest museum on October 19, 2017. The Wilson County Veterans Museum is dedicated to veterans of all conflicts and features materials and artifacts from all wars which the Unites States has been involved. A centerpiece of the museum is the UH-1 Helicopter. The “Huey” was built in 1965 and operated by “The Jokers” of the 48th Attack Helicopter Company in the Vietnam War. From 1980-95, it was used by members of the Tennessee Army Nation Guard and is on permanent loan from the State of Tennessee.
The Margaret Gaston Chapter DAR will host at the Wilson County Veterans Museum with a special focus on the commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of WWI.
The South Hatton/Dawson Cottage
110 South Hatton Ave 1914
Misses Willie and Maude Dawson, sisters, purchased this town lot May 5, 1914 and built their house in the cottage style. Hatton Avenue was quite the fashionable address at the time, being created in 1900 to connect the new Cumberland University campus with West Main Street. By 1907 thirteen houses had a Hatton Avenue address.
THE SIMS HOME
417 WEST SPRING STREET c.1909
Cal and Danielle Sims were drawn to their home’s welcoming exterior with its spacious porches and tall columns. The interior proved to be just as inviting and they purchased the home in 2016. The house is of the American foursquare style and retains its original floors, crown molding, and fireplaces. Note the chandeliers which are over 100 years old.
THE HICKS HOME
116 S. TARVER AVE c.1912
Lorrie and Shawn Hicks purchased the house in July 2013 and began a total renovation of the property; or as Shawn describes it, “his Lebanon labor of love or hate, depending on the day…” Interior repairs required milling new trim molding to replicate the original and returning period light fixtures and mantels to the home. The exterior has all new cedar siding and hand milled trim from local cedar. Work on a large addition containing the family room and in-law suite began in 2016.
THE BURDINE HOME
107 GREENLAWN DRIVE 1937
This home was built in 1937 by the Jacobs family, who operated a department store on the Lebanon public square. It remained theirs till 1944 when the family relocated to Nashville. The bench on the porch beside the front door is original to the house.